Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Jun 1994 06:03:48 -0500
> I do not think Natalie Maynor advocated that list subscribers should
> be allowed to reduce a list to chaos if the they so choose.  I think
> she was saying that sometimes one should allow a list to develop so
> it will find it's own niche and become a vital list.

Thank you, Douglas.  You're right -- except that I wasn't saying that
one "should" do anything.  It's ok with me if other listowners choose to
run their lists in different ways.  All I was objecting to was the idea
that there is some kind of universal agreement on what constitutes
garbage.  Of the three lists I run, two stick to the topic and one
doesn't.  The welcome message for the one that doesn't tells new
subscribers that they probably won't be happy with us if they're looking
for a single-topic list.  I don't expect everybody to like the style of
that list, but those of us who do like it love it.  We've been happily
discussing all kinds of interesting topics for five years now and don't
mind high volume and occasional misdirected mail (e.g., mail intended for
LISTSERV).  Those who don't like our style don't have to stay.  But don't
tell me or the other participants that our list is full of garbage.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])