Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:51:15 -0600
Nelson R. Pardee wrote:
> Stan Horwitz suggests locking lists. The only way I know of doing that is
> to get a list header, or am I missing something?

Any listowner can lock/unlock his list:
LOCK listname [pw=xxxxxxx]
UNOOCK listname  [pw=xxxxxxxxx]

or HOLD/FREE his list:
HOLD listname [pw=xxxxxxx]
FREE listname [pw=xxxxxxx]

I presume LISTSERV administrators can do the same.

I will just mention again, that this is a list for listOWNERs, not a list
for LISTSERV host site administrators/maintiners.  There is a separate
list for them.

I does not necessaraily help listowners to be told to do things which they
haven't the authority to do, though I have a few times figured out a
problem which one of my host site administrators couldn't due to what I
read on this list.

Still, this is *supposed* to be a list for listOWNERS.  At the same sime
that this list (not the same host nor listowner(s)) was created, at list
especially for list postmasters, as they were called at the time, was
created and is still in operation.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]