Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:11:57 GMT
On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:58:39 +0000, "Pauline M. Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I am moving over a listserv list to another listserv address.
>I need to subscribe the whole 250 or so subscribers to this new list.
>Now, I think I can do this, but just want to make sure.
>
>Can I get a copy of the header, and then tack on the whole subscriber
>list, and then do a put?  I know you are not supposed to do this in
>general, but can you do this to start from scratch?  Or is it better to
>subscribe everyone with:
>
>ADD mylist DD=X IMPORT
>//X DD *
>address #1
>address #2
>/*
> and then confirm them all.  And if this is the prefered way, can a person
>put in a confirming password so you don't have to confirm them all?  I am
>assuming after the IMPORT?

Depending on your Validate=  setting, (you could just change it to
Validate=No for the import, then no confirm is needed.

Or, do this:

ADD mylist DD=X IMPORT PW=personal_password

Or, if you are moving from one LISTSERV(R) list to another LISTSERV(R)
host, there is another, faster way that retains all current user options.

You use Pine, which is ok, but be sure to turn off wordwrap.

send the command  GET listname   [do not add (header or (nolock commands]

This will return the header AND the entire subscriber list.  Note that all
address lines are longer than 80 chars (I think it's 98 char). They must
NOT wordwrap, since the info after 80th char stores the SET options and
join/access dates, etc in position-dependant, binary encoded form.  DO NOT
attempt to edit any subscriber lines (well you might delete a whole line).

Make necessary changes to the list header as you normally would.  then
change the very first line (which should say  PUT listname LIST PW=?????)
with the word PUTALL listname LIST PW=????? and send it to the new host.

The PUTALL command is used in this case to tell LISTSERV you really mean to
replace the whole list of subscribers along with the header.

(I will assume you have already setup your listowner account and password
on the new host, otherwise this won't work).  This will only work for
moving LISTSERV(R) lists.

 Ben Parker ............ (Aurora, CO) ......... [log in to unmask]