Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 13:09:02 -0500
On Date:    Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:28:51 GMT, Florence Harding wrote:
>Please will SOMEONE tell me how to suspend my subscription to the
>listserver for a couple of weeks?

You CAN'T suspend a subscription to a "listerver" but you CAN suspend a
subscription to a LIST (one really good reason why the distinction between
the server and lists is important).

Email the SERVER (LISTSERV@wherever) the command:

SET list-name NOMAIL

(the reverse of the command is SET list-name MAIL)

>If this is not possible, how about how to unsubscribe and I shall
>resubscribe when I get back?

List subscribers are EXPECTED to know how to unsubscribe.  I know newbies
find it annoying that list owners tend to reply with RTFM (or to that
effect), but as the number of active net users expands into the millions,
the wasted bandwidth caused messages to lists of the "please remove me"
variety becomes really large.  I've been on several lists that have lost
large numbers of subscribers simply because of the number of (off-topic)
subscription related messages.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html