"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Jan 1993 08:00:00 EST
> (...)                                            Rather, I was
>struck by the cultural differences between different lists in terms
>of what people object to.  (...)

Jim:

(Hoping I haven't lost the context), I think you hit the nail on the
head -- different lists may over-ride the net-culture.

Nevertheless, new computer/network users of _established_ computing
organizations, will approach a list with site-specific questions, or
other questions best handled by their local computer/network help
structure.  A list member will suggest (hopefully gently), that the
question should be directed to their local support structure.

I guess one might apply different criteria to different audiences
(customers/users).  We're finding out that a particular list profile
does not fit all e.g., here on LSTOWN-L not all list owners are
computer/e-mail/network savvy to the same degree at tbe same time.
Nevertheless, we will assume a stereotype that someone belonging to
this list wants to become more self-sufficient in their c/e-/n
activities and consequently wants more than just an answer, but how one
arrived at that answer (if applicable).

Frequently that answer could have been arrived at by the same general
advice: Search the Notebook Archives (SNA ;-) ).

I have abstracted some text from the LISTFAQ MEMO (sorry for the heavy
edit Eric) --
                           (begin)
Thank  you for  having  ordered  this document  instead  of posting  your
question to a mailing list. This is a good start - now you will learn how
to find the answer  to your questions by yourself.
(...)
                   There is, however, a  process which allows you to find
up-to-date answers to frequently  asked questions: the database functions
of LISTSERV. Most of the questions  about LISTSERV you might ever have to
ask  have  been   answered  already  on  the   LISTSERV  discussion  list
(LSTSRV-L), which held about 6,500 messages at the time this document was
written. (...)

A search like that takes at most 5 minutes when you are familiar with the
database functions, and gives you a comprehensive answer if there is one.
(...)

No matter  how you look at  it, you win. The  only cost to you  is time -
both  to learn  how to  use the  database functions (...) .

                                   A well-trained searcher can obtain the
answer  to almost  any  question  about any  academic  topic  in some  15
minutes, by tapping the archives of one of these mailing lists - find the
right list  with LIST GLOBAL  or with the  LISTS database, then  find the
answer as  usual. (...)
                                                                 All this
wealth of  information is available  through a SINGLE interface,  so what
are you doing reading this when you could be learning about it now?

Bibliography:

- Send an INFO DATABASE to LISTSERV for a copy of the database manual. Do
  not worry too much  about the date - there have  been so little changes
  since the  original version that the  documentation did not need  to be
  updated.

- Release notes (descriptions of the changes from one release of LISTSERV
  to the next  one) are available from LISTSERV@SEARN  as 'Vnnt RELNOTES'
  (for instance, V17B RELNOTES describes the changes introduced in 1.7b).
  You can  also find this  sort of information  via the database,  but it
  will be  scattered across a number  of separate messages over  a rather
  long period of time; if you want to know "What's new?", these files and
  the archives of the LSTSRV-M list (also at SEARN) are the best place to
  look.

- You may want  to subscribe to the LDBASE-L list  and read the archives,
  if you have BITNET connectivity and your system runs VM or VMS.
                               (end)