Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 00:32:05 GMT
On Tue, 5 Nov 1996 17:52:21 +0500, Lisa Wainscott
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>1.  Can a listserv be set up only to deliver mail to the group from only one
>source and not accept group postings?

Yes, LISTSERV(tm) can be set this way very easily.  Its called
'broadcast' mode.

>2.  How much cost and "troubleshooting time" is involved in starting and
>maintaining a listserv for 300-400 people?

If you already have the LISTSERV(tm) software, the list setup time takes
about 5 minutes.  After that, is loading the member names.  If you have
an existing list that could take 15 min.  Then you need to test.  This
will take about 2 hours over 3-4 days.

If you don't have the software, you either need a platform for it to run
on or you need to hire a list-hosting service from someone who provides
that.  Check out  http://www.lsoft.com

>3.  From your experience, would we be better off in terms of time and
>cost just using group email postings and manually adding and deleting people
>from a list upon request?

Why not use the best available tool to do the job right?

If you use LSoft's EASE(sm) service you don't even need hardware.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]