Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Aug 1996 01:36:00 GMT
] Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

] AOL runs one of the largest LISTSERV  sites in the world, with a total of
] 461,503 subscribers,  of which I  imagine many  are from AOL.  That's 270
] times more subscribers  than FISH-ECOLOGY has. What makes  you think that
] they aren't aware of  the  problem  or that they aren't working on
] it?

    (1) Their results. This issue was discussed twice in this forum
        during the past 18 months. Nothing has changed. 18 months
        to fix this is more than "light-years" in the networking
        world;

    (2) AOLs Postmaster is asking for solutions. To me, it sounds
        funny. Perhaps, just a PR-trick. Anyhow, the problem is
        not fixed up but growing all the time.

] Did AOL ever say that they weren't going to  work on this?

    They said  (twice)  they'd  address  the  problem.   But nothing
    changed.  And I AM NOT "shooting first and asking  later".   The
    issue has been discussed earlier here but there are no results.

    In  the case of FISH-ECOLOGY (and *perhaps* other academic fora)
    AOL/COMPUSERVE/etc.  customers, with no-academic background, are
    allowed  into  the  conference   due   to  *courtesy*.   AOL  is
    indirectly making profits from both infrastructures set  up  and
    run  with  tax money and from list owners' hard work. And, in my
    view, we are getting pumpgun-shots  in  exchange.  I do not like
    this.  I do not like to read PR-chat from AOLs postmaster  every
    time  one  addresses the "bouncing-problem".  Only results count
    and dicipline in the .com-provider-world has shown bad-to-worse.
    That is *my* opinion.

    Aldo-Pier Solari/FISH-ECOLOGY.