James Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:51:06 +1000
Hi,

I have just needed to change the names of three lists I manage.
They account for 7 or 8 of my license points.
Before the change I had 17 out of 20 points used.
After the change (as per the supervisors manual) I shot over my 20
point license and needed to quickly delete the old.list file for the
biggest list (659 subscribers).
I then dropped back to 20 points used and could restart LISTSERV.

Why?

Do the old lists that only have a "New-List" keyword to redirect
people using the old list names STILL take a licence point?
Do they take more than one? (the fact that I needed to remove the big
old list even after I changed the header file implies so)

I would have thought that after following the instructions as set out
in the manual I would still have 3 points left (ie 17 out of 20) not
the 0 I now have.
Wheras it seems the old list names still take license points even
though they are no longer being used.

To try and salvage something I then tried to remove all subscribers
from the two remaining old lists. One had 270 subscribers (a two
pointer!).
I figured as the headers had no restrictions, the actual subscriber
listings were no longer needed (all lists were closed subscriptions).
However when I tried I was informed that the list was now under
LISTSERV... control and was called its new name.

So the only way I can remove the subscribers would be to edit the
old.list file outside of LISTSERV.

Am I missing something?

James

James Hale                       <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Manager, ArtsIT, Faculty of Arts
University of Melbourne, Parkville, AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61 3 9344 8196    Fax: +61 3 9347 0424