Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Apr 1992 14:14:14 PDT
On Fri, 24 Apr 1992 11:31:00, James Olson <[log in to unmask]>
posted to the [log in to unmask] mailing list:

>Our University joined Bitnet first, and just last year became part of the
>Internet by joining WiscNet, and more recently began using the Internet
>mail protocol with PMDF instead of Bitnet's.  I have always mailed to
>a Bitnet address when subscribing to 'lists' if given a choice, but
>with Internet mail faster, and usually more direct, should we start
>using the Internet address?  I like the LISTSERV features and realize
>we could continue to use LISTSERV for other requests besides subscribes.

Well, LISTSERV tries to minimize the amount of "load" it places on the
BITNET network, by using a sophisticated "mail-distribution" technique,
which works best when all the subscriber's IDs are "pure" BITNET addresses.