Brian Lingard <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 17:34:56 -0500
16 November 1995 Ottawa Canada

Hi Roger:

Here is how i handle list errors sent to me for manual processing:

1.  See if i recognize the site.  If i do and it is a chronic problem i
judt delete the message and continue.

if it continues too many days, I write to my subscriber there to ask what
is wrong or delete them and try to advise them somehow why their
subscription was killed.

2.  If the from: is different then i read down the list to find who the
error is in respect of and if it is not transient I issue a delete for
the user and if I am not too harried,  a letter explaining i killed their
subscription because...

3.  if the error is no such hote, i issue a delete listname *@home.domain

Saves deleting them one at a time.

There is a trick to reading error messages and you sometimes have one h
of a time figureing out who the intended addressee is and other times if
it is mime encoded, it is nicely formatted and explicit.

I truly worship the sites that generate non-delivery notices that
listserv can auto process.

-- Brian Lingard