Bill Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 17:55:00 CDT
On Thu, 2 Jun 1994 16:27:51 EST Nick Laflamme said:
>On Thu, 2 Jun 1994 16:02:29 CDT Bill Hunter said:
>>Hello, I am a new list owner and am having problems setting the 'reply-to'
>>keyword in the list header.  "My" list is actually a redistribution of a list
>>at a u*ix site.  By default, people on "my" list get the 'digest' option set.
>>The reason for my list is that the "software" at the originating u*ix site
>>does not have the ability to distribute the mail in digest format.
>>
>>It looks like "Reply-to= [log in to unmask],Ignore" is what I want.  What I'm
>>finding is that if I have someone subscribed in digest format (set xyz digest)
>>then the 'reply-to' in the list header is ignored and the 'reply-to' field
>>in the distributed DIGEST is set as "Reply-to: [log in to unmask]".  If the
>>user is not in digest format (set xyz mail) then the 'reply-to' field in
>>the distributed MAIL is set as specified in the list's 'reply-to' header
>>entry.
>
>Don't raise the bridge, lower the water, or, there are more ways to skin
>a cat!
>
>How about Send=Editor, [log in to unmask]

I saw the editor option yesterday when looking thru the doc.  It looks like
that must (or SHOULD) be a real person and not a machine.  I also found the
following code in "lswxmd.pascal":

(********************************************************************** 0001000
 *                                                                    * 0002000
 * LISTSERV V2 - List digestification routines                        * 0003000
 *                                                                    * 0004000
 *         Copyright (c) Eric Thomas 1993 <[log in to unmask]>         * 0005000
 *                                                                    * 0006000
 * This file was last updated on Sunday, March the 14th of 1993       * 0007000
 *                                                                    * 0008000
  (...) lines deleted
      (* For digests, set the 'Reply-To:' to point to the list *)       0221000
  (...)

This makes me think that it is behaving the way Eric wanted it to behave.  It
would be interesting to know why he designed it this way.  I'm sure that he
has a valid reason but it is sure causing me problems...

Bill