John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:46:28 -0400
> My apologies if this problem is resolved in the archives but I have
> been unable to find it, despite finding something related from 2000
> (see below).
>
> MEDLAB-L has recently had an incredible increase in spam sent to the
> listname-request address. Each day I'm getting the error reports
> (100s of them) with the subject line " MEDLAB-L: error report from
> BUFFALO.EDU" (using v. 1.8e). Each report reads "This is the
> qmail-send program at buffalo.edu..." and reports a variation of "the
> sender does not have a Yahoo account" or "...Possible forgery or
> deactivated due to abuse..." and ending with the standard request@
> message: "Your message to [log in to unmask] has
> been forwarded to the "list owner"....."
>
> Back in 2000 Francoise wrote (in part) :
>
> Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:04:08 -0500
> From:         Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: SPAM
>
> "....The good news is that the next version of LISTSERV (and perhaps
> even the 2000b release of 1.8d?) applies LISTSERV's spam protection
> to the listname-request address. So if your LISTSERV site is on the
> LISTSERV network, and the spam is caught by the spam-filter, then you
> won't get those particular pieces even when sent to the -request address."
>
> If what Francoise wrote then is correct, I'm guessing that spam
> protection is not catching spam sent to [log in to unmask] Is this
> correct or have I misunderstood something?

LISTSERV's site configuration RUNMODE= setting would have to be set to
either NETWORKED or TABLELESS for this function to work. This is what
Francoise meant by "So if your LISTSERV site is on the LISTSERV network,
and the spam is caught by the spam-filter then you  won't get those
particular pieces even when sent to the -request address."

Starting with LISTSERV 14.3, all messages sent to the LISTSERV-REQUEST,
ALL-REQUEST, or listname-request addresses require confirmation from the
sender before they will be passed on to the appropriate person(s).

Note, however, that if "Loopcheck= NoSpam" or "Loopcheck= None” is set at
the list level, this feature will be bypassed, as the feature is
considered as part of LISTSERV's built-in spam filter.