Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 04:57:15 +0200
text/plain (8 lines)
You can use list exits to disable both SIGNOFF and SET NOMAIL. It is not exactly point and click, but then you probably wouldn't want this kind of function to be point and click.

There can be legal reasons to force people to remain on a list. The typical case is an administrative employee newsletter or notice. Employers have the right to require employees to read them, or at least not claim that they "never heard about" the new policies described in the newsletter. If you allow them to sign off, they can claim in court that a helpdesk person gave them the wrong advice and it is the employer's incompetence that caused them not to receive electronic information.

At a previous job, we got at least one printed administrative notice per month, usually more. I threw them away without even glancing at them, mostly because they almost always applied to other departments or otherwise had no relevance to me. I was, er, not alone in doing this. Bins were littered with red-header notices whenever these were issued. I would have loved to get them by e-mail to save the poor trees, bonus points if they could be personalized so that I would only ever need to read relevant news (5 times a year), but e-mail was still somewhat new and there were legal concerns. One particular point was that, once the red-header leaflet had been placed in your mailbox, you were legally supposed to know every new rule or warning it contained. If for any reason your mailbox was somehow missed, you could not fail to notice that everyone else had gotten one and borrow from a colleague or call the personnel division for an extra copy, etc. I thought it was a pity to have to fell so many trees for so little. I would gladly have accepted a list from which I could not unsubscribe.

Eric

ATOM RSS1 RSS2