Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:13:32 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote: [I do wish folk would sign their postings.  Everyone
  must, on my lists.]
> And does pine count as a "specialized email application"?  I know someone
> that still uses pine to read all his mail... Hasn't been bitten by an
> email virus yet!

I use Pine, UNIX or Linux, for all email; if you want to edit list postings
it is the best.

As to text/plain vs. multipart/alternative (or text/html), Pete Weiss is
right, argument about it can become sort of a "religious war", as can be
seen in the archives of this list.

However, I do prefer text/plain for lists, in most instances, as it seems
most rational.  Most list postings are nothing but text and any HTML stuff
is mere "prettification" which has no bearing on what is actually said.
In addition, the transmission of multipart/alternative (html) items eats
up much more in the way of computing than does text/plain, and storing
the html stuff takes up more space than the just as good text/plain
version.  So memory is cheap these days (not for a Sun system it ain't),
that is no reason to waste it.

All of my list are set to LANGUAGE= NOHTML  and   ATTACHMENTS= No .

Also, one cannot send commands to LISTSERV using multipart/alternative,
commands must be sent as text/plain.

If it is good enough for LISTSERV, it's good enough for me (sometimes ;-)
).  I see no reason to have one standard for sending commands, and another
for posting to my lists, so it is the same for both.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]