John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:27:47 -0400
> My boss has asked me to remove a frivolous post from our
> list's web archive.
>
> I know I'm post-moderating, but this has to do with how
> we are using Listserv in our organization.
>
> I usually just use GET and PUT commands to deal with such
> issues, but the LOG file in question is about 2 MB in size.
>
> My email client, Outlook 2K, can happily send up to 1 MB
> of plaintext in the email body. I can't find any way to
> increase this threshold, at least on the client side, so that
> I can send a larger file.
>
> I have been granted access to our listserv server, and can
> now edit files directly. The machine is running 1.8e on a
> Windows 2000 platform.
>
> Is there a procedure for safely editing the LOG file directly?
> I am concerned that the HTML index will not be refreshed
> if I do so, or that I will run in to some other difficulty. If it
> is possible, I'd rather do this than investigate using alternative
> email clients to PUT my edited file.

This URL is instructions for doing it via email, but it contains other
info which is useful doing it manually at the server:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/editlogs.html

You'll want to HOLD the list and keep an original copy of the notebook in
a safe place. Then you can edit the notebook, keeping the format correct
as outlined in the above URL. If this is the current notebook, you'll need
to delete listname.SUBJECTS  and listname.DIGEST. Then delete
listname.DB*. Now go to the web archives folder for this list and you can
delete all the listname.IND*  files.

You can then "Update" the list header or GET/PUT it. This will re-build
ALL the IND and DB indexes getting everything in sync. Now you can free
the list.