Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 17:50:47 -0400
On 1 Sep 01, John Lyon wrote:

> So if you want only real names in posts, you will have to require they
> set that properly in their email client. Aside from the obvious problems
> with this, AOL doesn't even send a name in the From: field.

Actually with AOL addresses, and I think with all who do not put a name in
the From: field in their email client, we get the database name when the
post is distributed to the list.  Listserv appears to put it in there.
I'm not sure if this is optional or fixed behavior but it is quite
consistent.  The only posts that get through to our list with no name are
those who originally subscribed with no name (which we no longer allow)
and also have no name in their email client.

-----
Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]