"Steve Pruitt (Beyond Help)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:23:24 -0800
Don Wiss wrote:

> On of my list owners is being plagued with "was delivered" error messages.
> He has gotten at least some 20+ errors. He can't tell exactly who from or
> who to or who by; the subject line to him keeps changing, the one below
> is:
> ATKINS-NEW: error report from PROTRADER.COM. Did someone post a message
> that asked for an acknowledgement that it was read? How could Listserv let
> such go through? Don.
>
> Your message

Don, this probably means that the email system used by subscriber L A Bass
is sending receipts for all messages.  I've run into that a few times.  If
Bass is getting the list as individual messages these confirmations might be
going to the list server or to everyone that posts a message.  I suggest
changing him to digest and writing to him to explain.

A good test is to write directly to L A Bass without requesting receipts,
and see if you get one anyway.  I use the following boilerplate for such
test messages:

This is a test to see if your account is the source of some transmission
errors being reported to the Microsoft Internet Technology mailing lists.
If this message reaches you I apologize for the intrusion.  There's no need
to reply.

Steve Pruitt