Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:57:29 -0600
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:11:15 +0000, Ian Fairclough <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Rather, I'm concerned that a subscriber's email provider doesn't deliver a message from a list having an attachment, blocks further delivery of mail from the list, etc. - and neither the subscriber nor we listowners ever get to know about the problem.

I suggest you are worrying needlessly.  While it is true that any of these
things may happen, there is little to nothing you can do about it anyway.
Email providers may change their behavior at any time and usually without
notice.  While attachments may be blocked, or removed, or quarantined, list
mail without attachments will not usually be affected, unless your server
already has a cloudy reputation.  If you have a poor reputation, well, you
have other, larger problems.

Following an email with an attachment, others list members will discuss the
attachment, so anyone following the list closely will be able to figure it
out quickly.  If they didn't get that email with attachment, they will be
able to ask somone, or download it from the list message archives (if you
keep them).

The thing to do is either don't allow attachments at all or limit the size
of attachments that might go through your list to something sensible (e.g.
1M or 2M) and don't worry after that.