Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:20:37 -0400
On 9/20/2006 20:01, Pat Letendre wrote:
> Generally, I quiet delete suspicious subscribers (taking note of
> whether they are on mail or digests) pending an investigation as
> described below.
>
> First part of the investigation is to do an Internet search of the
> suspicious subscriber's name, e-mail address, and ISP domain name
> (google search of the web and newsgroups; and sometimes a "whois"
> <http://swhois.net/> domain search). If results are ambiguous (they are
> not obvious spammers), I write them directly with a note something like
> this:

Why not vet them before they are added to the list? Configure the list as a
sub-by-owner list, so all subscription requests are forwarded to you for
approval. Modify the template for the message which informs the requester that
his/her request has been forwarded to the owner for approval to include a
questionnaire with instructions which state that the questionnaire must be
completed and returned to the list owner address (listname-request@yourlisthost)
before the request can be approved. At that point, the ball is back in the
potential subscriber's court. If he/she has a legitimate reason and sufficient
desire to join the list, he/she will complete and return the questionnaire.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team