Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 18:33:56 -0500
[Winship wrote]
> Norm, I really do  not understand  your objection  to a printed  LISTSERV
> listowner's  manual.  I  certainly have not,  nor do  I think  anyone who
> supports me has, advocated the printed form in  place of the online form.
> Rather, we want a choice, and we're willing to  pay for it, and those who
> prefer the online documentation at no extra monetary  cost are welcome to
> go that way (heck, I'ld probably use both).

Well then, we've driven this into the ground.  I said,  in my first message
on the topic, that a printed version would be fine for those who want it if
the on-line, complete  manual  remained "free"  (that is, included   in the
license fee my institution pays).  In fact I used the example of O'Reilly's
commercial printing of some of the major Linux  manuals, still available by
anonymous ftp including all of O'Reilly's edits,  noting that both versions
are popular.  Apparently I missed something in your messages, as you did in
mine.   To be honest,  though, I don't  see printed publishing as a success
area for L-Soft.  Perhaps, once they've released the manual electronically,
they  could arrange with an  outside publisher (you   could get involved in
this) to print & sell whatever version was current at  the moment.  Because
of the distributed  nature of LISTSERV and  its users, though, and  because
only electronic  documentation  has any hope  of remaining  up to date, the
on-line version must remain primary and freely distributable.

Since  we agree on the only  point that matters  to  anyone else, we should
carry this conversation on  further, if there's anything  left to be  said,
off the list ...

Norm
--
SUPERMODEL LINDA EVANGELISTA, ON  VERSATILITY: "I can  do anything you want
me to do so long as I don't have to speak."