Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 May 2004 23:06:40 -0400
On Tue, 4 May 2004 10:47:01 -0700, Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I few years ago I figured out a way for members to change
>their subscribed address from the Web interface. But I was
>discouraged that it was WAY too complicated (to explain or
>give instructions to do it) for ordinary members (especially
>because many of my members have serious and debilitating
>health problems).

The process _is_ complicated and it also requires that the user have access to
both old and new email address accounts (send and receive capability)
separately.  This is for security reasons.  Otherwise anyone could change
anybody else's email address, which is certainly not desirable.

What I do, as List Owner of many lists, is to do address for users upon
request.  I simply ask them to write to listname-request@server  with the
message

 CHANGE listname old_address new_address

This is the format of the message for a List Owner to issue the command, which
bypasses all the usual security issues for users.  Yes, it is more work for
me, but in the long run it is less work for everyone, especially users.  If I
had challenged users, I would recommend doing it for them as the better way.
Each list owner will need to make their own decision in this respect.