"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 14:16:42 CDT
Neal,

It looks to me like Shane's mailer got really confused by the invalid
return address on the first message quoted and dumped the error message
back to some return address it already knew about (probably just the
last one it had successfully grabbed).  Then it somehow managed to lose
track of the boundaries between messages and sent you everything that
was in its input stream at the time.  (Since the other included messages
include the SMTP "envelope" lines MAIL FROM: and RCPT TO:, I think this
is an SMTP input stream rather than a mail notebook or log.)

About 200 lines down, there is an instance on a message from your list
followed by a message with the invalid return address in the envelope.
Perhaps this is the actual cause of the error and Shane's mailer was
trying to give some context in the surrounding mail stream.  That doesn't
seem good for mail confidentiality, but somebody may have thought it was
really neat for debugging.

Mark R. Williamson, Rice U., Houston TX; [log in to unmask]