Anthea Tillyer <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Jun 1994 09:34:33 EDT
On Sat, 18 Jun 1994 09:31:00 EDT Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 said:

>Hopefully, you have clearly enumerated the purpose/mission of
>the list, and have followed up both on and/or off list, as
>appropriate, for mis-postings.

Yes. I think I can safely say that the purpose of the list is frequently
stated and restated in both public and private.

>As part of a strategy to reduce traffic, you might try the
>following ploy: with sufficient notice to the subscribers, update
>the list defintion headers so that list replies are defaulted
>to the sender of the original message, and NOT back to the
>list i.e.,
>
>Reply-To= Sender,Respect

All of this is already in place!

>Also some subscribers might be satisfied if they used the DIGEST or
>INDEX distribution options (assuming that your have notebook archives
>or, for DIGEST, allowed THAT possibility via another list keyword
>definition).

We have a very large percentage of our members using INDEX and DIGEST, and
they are happy with it.  However, even INDEX and DIGEST can't put messages
of substnce where there is only garbage.  The pretty garbage can still holds
garbage.

I appreciate your answers and I wish that I hadn't already thought of that!
Peace
Anthea Tillyer       City University of New York       ABTHC@CUNYVM