"Ray Magauran (Ophthal-L)" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:56:10 -0500
>Since your list is "by_owner", then when a user attempts to subscribe,
>LISTSERV sends E-mail to the potential subscriber,
>telling them that their request has been forwarded to the list-owner.
>
>So, if that message cannot be delivered, then you, as the list-owner,
>get E-mail from LISTSERV, regarding your list.

Yes, but usually the undelivered message that is returned is a delivery
error message, which includes the "Instructions for Subscribing" etc from
the list.mailtpl file...

This error message states the "following subscribers" are being monitored -
they never were subscribed.  I have only ever received thgis type of error
message for people actually on the list.  It seems like they were able to
circumvent the subscription=by_owner?  Either way, their spam never made it
over the list - the list is moderated (Send=Editor) as well and no
posts/spam were received for distribution.  I only ask this out of
curiosity - if they did learn how to circumvent "Subscription=by_owner",
then does this function really protect a list?  I just don't understand how
this type of error (which I received again today and will probably for the
next 8 days) can happen if they are not on the list?

Thanks for your insight,

Ray Magauran