Phil Schwarz <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:58:43 -0500
Our list has several co-owners, and we sometimes
use the *-REQUEST address for our list to send
something to all the co-owners.

We've had a curious situation in which one of our
co-owners, who lives on a uucp host a hop away from
her ISP, has never gotten those "Your message to
*-REQUEST..." confirmations upon sending something
to the *-REQUEST address.

We checked with her sysop and ISP, and it appears
that the problem is that Listserv is converting
the entire Return-Path: address to uppercase.  It
turns out that Listserv uses the Return-Path: address
to send those confirmations.

Anything to the left of the @ in the Return-Path:
address should have its case preserved.  That is
not happening.  [log in to unmask] is getting
converted to [log in to unmask] rather than
[log in to unmask] (which would be perfectly
OK per the standard).

The ISP's uucp software considers UUCPHOST to be
different than uucphost, and rejects mail addressed
that way, which is correct behavior for uucp.

This failure to preserve the case of the left-hand
side of the Return-Path: is happening on the Listserv
1.8c for VMS running on maelstrom.stjohns.edu; I
don't know if the problem will be found on other
configurations or versions of Listserv.

Is it a bug, and if so, any idea when it might be
fixed?  Unless anything important is sent to the
priority item, I realize :-) .  I'd like to report
back to the sysop and ISP involved, though, just
for closure.

Thanks --

Phil Schwarz
co-owner, [log in to unmask]