Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:42:42 -0400
This is part of the reason my first response was, no, the IT folks are
not likely to be much help.

> Agreed - Try to get the IT Dept involved. Depending on local laws,
> "cyber harassment" can be a crime. In some cases it can be a Federal
> crime. However, it can be very easy to hide in free email and public
> access points. Sadly, some List hosting sites respond to these
> situations by shutting down the list or restricting lists to "in
> house" only.

This isn't really a technical problem, it's a social one. The
immediate, simple solution -- which would be right at the top of my
agenda were I the IT department -- would be, "shut it down, who needs
it?"

My tendency would be to put the user on review and outlast him. And/or
suggest that the people he's harassing call the cops, if it's that
serious. But know that once you're involved as list owner, you're now
responsible for _everything_.

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English