Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:08:13 -0500
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Pete Weiss wrote:
> At 09:29 10/12/2000 Thursday, Winship wrote:
>
>  >> s hyper not (hypertext or hypermedia) in autocat
>  >Invalid search expression - stack not empty after final evaluation.
>
> "me too" for a local list:
>
> Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:56:03 -0400
> Subject:      Output of your job "Pete-Weiss"
>
>  > s hyper not (hypertext or hypermedia) in FINAID-L SINCE TODAY
> Invalid search expression - stack not empty after final evaluation.

This isn't a new problem, I just haven't said anything about it as I don't
myself often use the "not" operand.  But, I've never been able to get the
"not" to work since we were moved from VM to UNIX.  I know it worked in VM
and I think it is supposed to work in UNIX but I have never been able to
get it to do so.

I don't, myself, usually use the "not" operand and can work around it
when it doesn't work.  However, I am trying to write a new, comprehensive
item for my subscribers on searching the archives via email (my preferred
approach, lot easier and quicker than the web) and I test all my examples
of how to use operands before I advise their use and, durn it, "not" just
does not seem to work.  By Boolean logic and set theory they ought to work
but the "not" operand just does not seem to work, and I think it ought to.

What gives?  Douglas