Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 11:30:59 -0400
At  3:55 PM 10/13/94 +0100, Liaison wrote:
>I think perhaps we could be a little more civilised about this.

More than likely, but the frustrated list owner in question didn't seem to
be getting replies to queries about the problem.

>discussed this problem with my colleagues and it appears that from your
>point of view, or set of rules, we are in the wrong, and conversely we
>see you as being in the wrong from our rules for list servers.

I can see where confirmation notices have value, but LISTSERV has been
around nearly a decade.  It appears strange that this problem should
suddenly surface. Three options: 1 )deny LISTSERV services  JANET (not an
acceptable notion and possibly unworkable), 2) program the "confirmation
notice daemon" to recognize headers from lists (listproc, LISTSERV, and
majordomo at least include a header in all their messages that make them
readily recognizable) and not send confirmations to list messages, 3)
program the server to return 'confirm' messages to the internal from
address (RFC 1123 requires delivery FAILURE notices be sent to the Envelope
MAIL FROM, but that doesn't apply to confirmations).

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax