Tue, 21 Jun 1994 00:55:54 -0500
I do not think Natalie Maynor advocated that list subscribers should
be allowed to reduce a list to chaos if the they so choose.  I think
she was saying that sometimes one should allow a list to develop so
it will find it's own niche and become a vital list.

Sometimes the initial idea for a list may be too narrow and it can't
sustain itself.  Sometimes the idea may be too broad and one has chaos
from the start.  I think what she was saying was be flexible (not lenient)
and you will have a better list which is active and a dynamic force.

If faltering memory serves, the late Kathryn Wright established a list
five-six years ago intended soley for the discussion of rare book cataloging
using a particular OPAC system.  When it became apparent that many not
using that particular system were interested in taking part she allowed
the list to broaden its scope.  But she would not have tolerated
extended flame wars nor any of the sabotage/spamming/etc. material we
have been discussing lately to disrupt her list.

We allow our subscribers a fair amount of latitude.  Most of the material
is strictly on target.  But list related humour is welcome, and when it
is time for a major library conference meeting notices, requests for
roomies, queries about accomadations/restraunts/etc. are normal and
expected.  The list is for catalogers and the material almost always
fits what they want to talk about at the time.  Flame wars (been two
years since we had a real one) and totally extraneous threads that go on
too long are dealt with as necessary.  The list is required reading for
some graduate classes.  The list has been through a succession of listowners
but the focus has always stayed the same and is largely determined by
the subscribers (we've been fortunate not to have any interlopers bent
on mischief, but they'ld have a hard time convincing anyone they knew
what they were talking about on this list).

Anyway, I think Natalie meant this sort of latitude to allow a list to
"find itself" when she spoke of seeing herself as a mechanic keeping the
list running and the subscribers decide what the list is.

Douglas

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner