Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:50:11 EDT

> > Hopefully not. If you DO find a way to do this, you will be spamming them!
>
> There is a way, but I'm not going to mention it and hope no one else
> does.  This is highly unethical behavior, and as Steve says it constitutes
> spamming.
>
> A month or so ago I spent two weeks getting three or four people off
> a list where the listowner would not let people leave when they wished.
>
> One does not add people to the list if they do not wish to be on it and
> one allows those who wish to leave to do so, *immediately*, not in a
> month or so.  They want off, they get off *NOW!*

What you say is generally true, but there are exceptions.  One example
is where the management of an organization wants to be able to send
email to all employees.  As long as you are employed there, you don't
have the right to unsubscribe from such a list.

Another case might be where you have agreed to be on a list as
a condition of receiving some service.