Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Jun 1992 18:08:00 EDT
	Earlier today, Christopher Mark Conn asked:

> Is there any way I can set up my list so that people not subscribed
> to the list cannot post to it?

     If you set your list header so that Send= Private, only subscribers
can post.  Others will receive a message from listserv informing them that
they are not authorized to post and suggesting they contact you if they
have questions.  Because my list is set up this way, it has been spared
many of the inappropriate and annoying postings and cross-postings that
have appeared on other lists.

     I should add that the down side of this arrangement is that
subscribers encounter more problems when they switch from Bitnet to
Internet (or vice versa) or their address changes.  Listserv doesn't
recognize them except from the address they used when they subscribed.
That's a pain, but I find it to be outweighed by the advantages.

	Joan Korenman, WMST-L Listowner   KORENMAN@UMBC
	Univ. of MD. Baltimore County     [log in to unmask]
	Baltimore, Maryland 21228-5398