Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 May 1992 20:18:51 EDT
On Tue, 26 May 1992 18:02:09 EDT Steven Feldman said:
>>Re: LSVPUT works?! (was PUTting a List Header)
>>Date:         Tue, 26 May 1992 08:42:32 EDT
>>From:         "Duane D. Weaver" <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>On Mon, 25 May 1992 17:12:00 EST Volunteers in Technical Assistance said:
>>>Bruce Dienes <[log in to unmask]> on 25 May said it worked for him
>>>on his IBM type system. Does anyone think that my lack of success is due
>>>to my host mainframe being VAX?
>>YEs, LSVPUT EXEC was written only for IBM VM/CMS systems!
>
>     Well, *I'm* on an IBM VM/CMS system, and it doesn't work for *me*,
>either.  I think what the problem is is that the program requests the
>filename and filetype BUT NOT THE LIST'S NAME.
>                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>     What I mean to say is, listowners here at Brown University can only
>"put" *manually* by placing a "put filename filename listname" line at
>the top of the file to be sent, and then using "sendfile" to send it to
>listserv with a syntax like "sendf filename filetype listserv."  Does
>this clarify what the problem may be?

I suspect  that user  error is  the culprit here.  As Listserv  postmaster at
Temple, I use LSVPUT on an IBM VM/CMS system all the time and rarely have any
problems.  An owner  of a  private list  here uses  LSVPUT frequently  to put
files on  his own list and  he has yet to  have a problem. There  are several
ways of messing things  up that are difficult to track  down. Perhaps you are
just not  very familar with  the process involved  with using LSVPUT.  I have
some files  with information on  this topic that may  be helpful to  you. Try
sending an INDEX HELP-NET command to  [log in to unmask] This will give you a
list of  lots of files.  They were all  put there by  me with LSVPUT.  One or
two of these files  will be of particular interest to  anyone using LSVPUT. I
hope this helps you.

    Stan Horwitz              |*|  STAN @ VM.TEMPLE.EDU
    IBM Electronic Mail       |*|  My opinions are my own and do not
    Applications Consultant   |*|  necessarily reflect those of my
    Temple University         |*|  employers or anyone else.