Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 12:21:54 EDT
Cherie said..
>As a result of the rash of spammers lately, I've changed my lists to send=
>private, and I also confirm new subscribers to the list.  However, this
>means that only subscribers can post to the list, and I have several
>subscribers who receive their email through distribution lists.  This means
>that they not be signed up under their own email address.  Is there a way
>for them to post to the list besides temporarily subscribing to the list in
>order to post, or forwarding the message to the listowner (or another sub-
>scriber) to post?  Can they post through their distribution list?

Instead of Send=Private, I use Send=Editor,Hold (also adding an Editor
line of Editor=(listname)).  This has the same affect, but allows you
(the moderator) to use the OK mechanism.

If you generally are able to allow non-subscriber postings through on a
timely basis, this may be all that is needed for people that don't post
much.

The Subscription=Open,Confirm is important to catch many email forgers
and the Send=Editor,Hold is important to catch content-deficient mail of
non-subscribers.  I go one step further.  My lists have
Default-Options=REVIEW causing even subscriber messages to be moderated
with the OK mechanism.  I turn this into a "moderate 1st post" policy by
setting their subscription to NOREVIEW after their 1st message.  A
hassle with this is that I have to determine if the poster is a
subscriber.  If a subscriber, then I set NOREVIEW;  if not, I ADD a
NOMAIL NOREVIEW subscription for them.

I have a question for the L-Soft folks: Let's say I have a list A with
Default-Options=REVIEW, Send=Editor,Hold, and Editor=me,(A),(B), where
list B is another mailing list.  What if B was just for my moderation
policy and not a "real" list.  Could I institute a "review 1st post"
policy by just ADDing the poster to list B as NOREVIEW?  Basically list
B would exist only as a list of addresses OK to post.  (The underlying
question is, would LISTSERV look beyond the list A REVIEW subscription
to the list B NOREVIEW subscription and approve the posting
automatically?).  This would be a wonderful help to me, especially for a
closely related group of 4 lists that I manage.  Having one "REVIEW data
base" would save me much time, I think!

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]