Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:57:02 -0500
> >I don't think there is any way to provide this level of service only to
> >selected subscribers on a single list; it's the whole list, or none.
> >However, you could set up a second list, relaying mail from the first,
with
> >a different Auto-Delete= setting, and move your subscribers with known
> >problems to it.
>
> Exactly:
>
> SUB-LIST=

Yes, a sub-list could do this. But mightn't it be overkill for the
situation? I was thinking of simply subscribing the one list to the other.

Making a list with 20-30 posts a day into a super-list has the drawback that
LISTSERV has to do rather a lot of work generating the union of the two
lists, over and over, does it not?

Granted, subscribing lists to other lists has risks. (In fact, my own lists
prohibit it as a matter of policy.) But in this case, the second list--the
one for problem cases--would presumably operate on a subscription-by-owner
basis. Depending on the Send= setting, it might also be appropriate to
retain those subscriptions, set to NOMAIL, on the original list.

None of this is going to work without a bit of thinking. But it beats having
Auto-Delete, which is utterly mindless and can be incredibly arbitrary,
running the show instead of the owner.

Hal Keen