Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 12:34:05 +0100
On   Tue,   21   Feb   1995    21:26:51   -0600   "Laurence   A.   Bates"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Sorry Eric but I  cannot agree with your claim that  the beta period had
>not ended. Read your own email...

Laurence,

This is getting  really childish. Unfortunately I cannot let  you off the
hook  without setting  a precedent  that  L-Soft doesn't  really mind  if
people violate their beta agreement, so  I have no option but to continue
this ridiculous  discussion. I can't  answer in private because  it would
make it look like I agree that L-Soft was wrong.

>Subject: End of beta
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>To: Multiple recipients of list LSTSRV-W <[log in to unmask]>
>
>With the  end of the  month (and  LAK period) here  is an update  on the
>current status of the beta test and release of the Windows NT version of
>LISTSERV.
>
>About a week ago, development (my group) declared the beta to be over.

Indeed, in this message I declared  that the beta testing phase was over,
that is,  that the technical tests  had concluded to our  satisfaction. I
did not announce that the product  had been released. In fact I announced
that the product  was NOT going to be released  for another month. Prices
become  public when  a product  is announced  or released,  not when  the
development  team decides  that  the product  has  passed the  acceptance
tests. To quote the beta testing  agreement, here is when your obligation
not to make public comments was going to end:

3. RESTRICTIONS ON  PUBLIC COMMENTS. (...) Once the  product is released,
   you can of course say what you want about the final version. (...)

Once  the product  is *released*,  not  once the  tests are  over. I  was
telling you explicitly that the product  was not going to be released for
another month,  that we did  not have a price  list, and that  beta sites
only would  be allowed  to purchase  under a  temporary price  list. That
seems a lot clearer and more explicit to me than a vague conclusion that,
since the  tests are over, then  in spite of the  explicit statement that
the product won't  be released for a  month, it will in  fact be released
within 5 days and  this is so option that there is no  need to confirm it
with L-Soft.

Incidentally, by  posting a copy of  the LSTSRV-W message in  public, you
have  violated point  2 of  the  beta agreement,  for which  there is  no
release  clause. It  may seem  unfair that  L-Soft can  do what  it wants
whereas you must obtain L-Soft's formal permission to repost the material
L-Soft  posted to  LSTSRV-W, but  beta agreements  aren't supposed  to be
fair, they're for the vendor's protection. You'll be hard pressed to find
a beta  agreement where the vendor  doesn't keep the sole  prerogative to
publish  the  information  that  it   disclosed  to  the  beta  sites  in
confidence. You didn't  have to join the beta if  you felt the conditions
were unfair. Noone was forcing you. But  you did join the beta and L-Soft
was expecting you to uphold the agreement.

Anyway,  it looks  like you're  only making  your case  worse with  every
rebuttal. I  also note that you  have again carefully avoided  to address
the issue of  your misrepresentation of our pricing policy.  I don't know
Laurence, most people  are willing to apologize when  they misrepresent a
company's offerings  in public. L-Soft  isn't going to admit  that L-Soft
screwed  up and  that  your comments  were  perfectly legitimate,  simply
because that isn't the case. You can apologize now or we can escalate the
incident, it's entirely  up to you. Whatever you decide,  I do not intend
to  continue this  discussion  on  the list,  having  now noted  L-Soft's
continued  and steadfast  belief  that you  have  (i) misrepresented  our
pricing policy in public and (ii) violated  sections 2 and 3 of your beta
agreement.

  Eric