"Lawrence B. York" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:35:03 +5EST
> Date:          Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:10:36 -0500
> From:          "John M. Roraback" <[log in to unmask]>

> I may have just missed it, but I am unable to find documentation as
> to whether "REVIEW= Owner" will prevent list subscribers from doing
> a SCAN of the list roster.

   Yes.  "REVIEW= Owner(s)" will prohibit anyone other than those who
are listed as Owners in the header from REVIEWing or SCANning the
header/roster.

> What I would like to do is allow SCANs, but prevent REVIEWs. Would a
> filter work for this; e.g. filter "REVIEW"?

   No.  But a suggestion would be to change to "REVIEW= Private" and
edit your header to include the ".hh" command to hide the
configuration data as follows:

PUT listname PW=xxxxxxxx
*
* .hh (the following lines will be hidden)
* REVIEW= Private
* (other configuration data)
* .hh (hidden command disabled for anything following)

Now a "REVIEW" of your list (by a subscribed member) will retrieve
something like:

*
* (xx lines hidden)
etc...

And any listmember will be able to issue the "SCAN" command.

> Is their any kind soul out there who can set me straight on these things?

   I hope this helps!

Lawrence B. York
L-Soft International, Inc.