Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 02:56:34 GMT
On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:04:27 -0400, "Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I guess what I want is a subscription option for such people so that they
>would only be allowed to post to the list, but not recieve mail from the
>list.  Is there any possible way to do this securely?

This has been asked before.  I fail to see any logic in allowing people to
post directly to your list (instead of sending to a Moderator) but not
allowing them to read the list, and/or engage in meaningful discussion.

Seems ludicrous to me.  either you admit someone to equal status with other
subscribers or you don't.  If they misbehave, well then you take steps...
I can't imagine why anyone would be willing to post more than perfunctory
msgs to such a list, and they could just as easily be sent to a moderator.

"You can't join our club, but we'll let you post msgs on our front door."

2 ways to do it depending on how many such people you contemplate having.

1. If only a few, add them to the Editor= line in your header.  This will
allow them to post, but not read the list.

2. If more than a few, make the list "self-moderating"
    * send= editor
    * editor= ownerid@address,(listname)
   this effectively makes all subscribers into editors, who can post freely
   but all non-subscribers posts go to a moderator for approval.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]