Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:09:09 PDT
On Sun, 11 Aug 1996 19:51:49 EDT, "David M. Rosenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
>Proposed Goal: There should be a mechanism by which a list owner can
>control which list header lines are visible via a REVIEW command. This
>only should affect the header lines. It would affect the header lines
>when the list was REVIEWed by anyone. It would not have any effect
>when someone with sufficient access did a GET of the list header.
>
>Proposed Control Mechanism: Introduce a new keyword (e.g "Hide=").
>The keyword might take two values: "On" and "Off". A line reading
>* Hide= On
>would mark the beginning of a block that was to be hidden. A line reading
>* Hide= Off
>would mark the end of a block that was to be hidden. (You can probably
>come up with better words than "Hide", "On", and "Off" - for example
>perhaps "Start" and "End" might be better choices than "On" and "Off".
>Regardless of the actually words, I hope you understand the idea that
>I have in mind.)
>I think that it is relatively unimportant whether none, one, or both of
>Hide= keywords are themselves hidden, although if it didn't cause any
>problems, I'd have a mild preference that they both be hidden.
>About the only difference between this proposal and Shahrukh's proposal
>it that this proposal feels more consistent with other LISTSERV syntax.

If your goal is to be consistent with LISTSERV syntax,
then consider:

   Filter= Hide:,bad1@host1,bad2@host2
   Owner= good1@site1,Hide:,good2@site2,Quiet:,good3@site3

i.e., mimic the syntax of currently-available 'QUIET:' option.

I don't like the idea of using "begin" and "end" for a block of information.
Rather, like the 'QUIET:' option, the 'HIDE:' option will take effect,
until the next list-definition keyword.

Comments?