Gail Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 09:25:37 -0500
Another solution, which I currently shepard, is to set up a members
only/private list.  Members are nominated, voted on, and added only if
all participants agree.  The criteria can be explicated, and the "no"
vote of any member is sufficient to keep unwanted posts, including
commercial and binary files from being deceminated.

In my particular case our membership is almost entirely affiliated with
academic institutions, shares an interest in political and social
philosophy, and are committed to civility.  A nice respit from the hurly
burly of the open discussion group, and a stable but growing community of
really nice people.  We currently have almost 100 members, and although
the disagreements are lively, they are protected from the machinations of
the 'bomb throwers', trouble makers, and net.kooks.  (I really do love
that expression :-)

I do not moderate or edit, relieving me of many of the chores some of you
must endure, and can rely on the membership to police themselves.

Perhaps it would help to reexamine the reasons why you wanted to manage a
group in the first place?  Don King and the Mud Wrestlers Association of
America are not my idea of 'communicators'...and you may find that your
university is quite willing to undertake a private list project because it
does protect them from nusance suits by lunatics.
Gail.

Gail M. Barnes, Ph.D.                 Stupidity is always amazing,
Delta State University                no matter how used to it
Cleveland, Ms  38733                  you may become.
[log in to unmask]                               Jean Cocteau