Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:39:59 -0500
Listserv Manager wrote:

> If you're behind like I was, as I understand it, there are two provisions
> of gmail that appear to concern folks. One is that they will be
> automatically scanning incoming email and inserting targeted ads.

According to Google, context-sensitive text ads will be displayed with (not
inserted into) email messages using the same technology that is used to display
context-sensitive ads on Google search results pages.

> A second
> is that email is stored potentially forever, even if you delete it from
> your personal storage area.

The Gmail 'about' page says that users never need to delete messages; it does
not say that users cannot delete messages.

The Gmail privacy policy deals with the collection and sharing of personal
information. It does not directly address the issue of the privacy of one's
archived mail.

I do not want to trivialize the concerns expressed about Gmail, however, it
appears to me that the only real differences between Gmail and almost every
other email service provider is the size of the user's mailbox and the ability
to use the Google search engine to search archived mail. What assurance do any
of us have that our email service provider is not reading and/or archiving our
mail?