Zsolt Orczan <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 13:09:10 +0200
 ___MAGYAR ELEKTRONIKUS TOZSDE____________________________HU-ISSN_1216-0229
HUNGARIAN ELECTRONIC EXCHANGE     copyright  1990.

Dear Sir,
We organize an international
                 ELECTRONIC JOURNAL CONFERENCE

      ***  WE INVITE JOURNALISTS, EDITORS and PUBLISHERS  ***
                      to  BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
                      on  November 9-10-11 ,1995

TOPICS:
* ELECTRONIC JOURNAL WRITING, EDITING AND PUBLISHING
*  PUBLIC RELATIONS IN THE E-JOURNAL, GOPHER AND WWW

CALL FOR PAPERS
Papers are invited on all subjects mentioned. Please submit ASCII text and
image (uuencode) [written in English] 5.000 words containing a
65 character/line a brief abstract (at max. 5 lines long)

subject: papers

Lecture Authors will be notified about the acceptance of  papers by August
20, 1995. The conference proceedings are intended to be
published on flopy disc.

CONFERENCE LANGUAGE:  English (translation into Hungarian)

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Csaba S. Orczan [chair]
Zsolt Orczan Dr [co-chair)   [log in to unmask]

SOCIAL PROGRAMME
Welcome Cocktail                                     November 9,  1995
Excursion , Theatre,  Opera...

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
To participate in the conference please fill in and e-mail the attached
Registration Form to the [log in to unmask] at your earliest
convenience.  Please note that for early registration a reduced fee is
applicable.  You will receive the confirmation of your participation and
the detailed program in due time.

Early Registration until August 20, 1995
FEES
                          before August 20,            after
                              299 USD                 350 USD
ACCOMPANYING PERSONS
are welcome and may attend the welcome cocktail, the Conference reception
and the lunches on the conference days
at a fee of: 120 USD

PAYMENT
Participants are kindly requested to transfer the fees to the following:

MoneyGram to AMERICAN EXPRESS BUDAPEST HUNGARY-1052, ORCZAN Zsolt

or POSTA BANK Budapest H-1920 account number: 131-121844 ORCZAN Zsolt

Please note that in case of cancellation only a 50 % of the
paid fee will be refunded.

CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT

MET Budapest Pf.311 Hungary H-1536
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

........................cut here..........................................
REGISTRATION FORM

Family Name:...              ... male/female
First Name(s):...
Address:...
e-mail:...
Telephone:...
I intend to submit a paper  ... yes/no
Title /area of paper:...
Technical equipment required:...

I pay the fee MoneyGram ... yes/no or  Bank account ...yes/no
transaction date:...    and number......

I register ...  accompanying persons.
Please send me information about available accomodations ... yes/no
I need a hotel room ... single/double
luxus...five star(*****)...four star (****)...three star (***)...yes/no
Date from ...... to ......

Please inform me about  Excursion, Theatre, or Opera... yes/no

......................cut here...........................................
                    About BUDAPEST

In 1835, an English peer by the name of John Paget got his
first look of Buda and Pest from the crest of Gellert Hill. Of
what he saw there he wrote as follows: "Buda with its blue
chain of hills, Pest with its yellow plain, and the majestic
Danube with its green isles were all sprawled out at our
feet... and we sat for some time, enthralled by all that
beauty... One hundred and fifty years have passed since the
ousting of the Turk, and in this space of time, the city has
risen from squalid ruins to become one of the great cities of
Europe. Pest owes its progress not to the good will of a
benevolent ruler, but to its natural endowments and the en-
ergy of its people... It lies on the banks of a river that
traverses half of Europe, and may expand unbounded in
every direction. All this leads one to anticipate a splendid
future for Pest-Buda."

 It is interesting to compare Paget's description with the
observation made by the geographer Kohl from Bremen just
seven years later. The order-loving German appraised the
city with satisfaction: "Pest was conceived in an orderly
manner, the city plan was elaborated with proper circum-
spection. The main thoroughfares leading in every direction
from the centre of the town are broad and straight." The
haphazardness of Buda, however, was less to his liking.
"There is no sign of planning. The streets are neither cen-
tralized nor straight; consequently, the town has no core,
and in its network of streets, one will find nothing that re-
sembles order. The reason for this is the unfavourable soil
and the fact that the roads are cut off by hills, preventing the
population from building their houses in a rational manner."
 Whether we think of the past or the present, the descrip-
tion is faithful. Whether to its advantage or otherwise, Pest
is comparable to other big cities lying on the plain. But Buda
is unique, like Stockholm, Istanbul, or Rio, and this is due
precisely to its "disorderliness". Pest may expand without
constraint, but Buda is bound by the surrounding hill coun-
try. In the course of its development, Pest has smothered
and devoured its environment, as most big cities do. But
even today, Buda is inseparable from it, despite the fact that
the "peaceful coexistence" between man and nature is being
increasingly threatened. More and more houses are appear-
ing on the formerly sparsely populated hillsides, and the ten-
tacles of urbanization feel their way not only upward: they
bore their way into the remotest hollows of the valleys.
Small plots of land are being congested by large houses, and
even sometimes entire neighbourhoods; the gardens are
shrinking, the woods receding into the distance. New roads
are being built, public utilities, service accommodations es-
tablished.
 Nevertheless, Buda continued to be characterized not so
much by its wreath of hills as by the fragmentedness of its
inner area. It has no rational geometrical scheme. The inner
city hills - Rozsadomb, Naphegy, Varhegy (Castle Hill),
Gellert-hegy and Sashegy, - which boast perhaps the
world's only big city nature conservation area, divide the
body of the town into sections, thus giving the whole a diver-
sified, exciting aspect. The old sixteenth-century Italian say-
ing according to which the world has three gems: Venice on
the water, Florence on the plain, and Buda on the hill, in all
probability still holds true, and so does the ironic saying of
Hungarian architects, according to which the natural en-
dowments of Buda are so beautiful that even they, the ar-
chitects. can't wipe them out completely.

Please reply as soon as possible!
Yours  sincerely,
Dr. ORCZAN, Zsolt & ORCZAN Csaba

| MET Publisher: ORCZAN, Zsolt  e-mail.:[log in to unmask]               |
| MET Chief editor: ORCZAN, Csaba  e-mail.:[log in to unmask]            |
***  MET   BUDAPEST PoBox. 311.  HUNGARY,  H-1536  ****   MET@HUEARN   ****