Dave Jackson UIOWA <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:27:00 CST
> Migrating  a test list from  a VM system is  as easy as
> doing an FTP transfer, replacing a VM minidisk address with a directory
> path,  and restarting  the server.  Even archive  files, administrative
> message templates and welcome/farewell messages  can be migrated with a
> simple FTP transfer. Ease  of installation, migration and configuration
> is but one of the strong points  of LISTSERV. With over 90,000 lines of
> code, LISTSERV for unix(R)  comes with scalable, efficient, time-tested
> algorithms  and the  richest,  most comprehensive  feature  set in  the
> market. LISTSERV  dates back to 1986,  and quickly became the  de facto
> standard  for mailing  lists. It  delivers 5-6  million messages  on an
> average weekday (worldwide),  with a total membership in  excess of 1.4
> million.

    Eric and others,

    RE:  L-SOFT Eval. Package transition from Message Exchange V4.0

    This probably sounds like the dumb question of the year, but does all
    this mean that we could transfer an existing list from Message
    Exchanger software by Hunter Goatley and Matt Madison, or are we S-O-L?
    The software is currently on VMS.  Any ideas?  I would highly value any
    other suggestions thru personal e-mail or via LISTOWN-L regarding the
    benefits of this evaluation and/or permanent installation package.

    I am currently operating a busy list, and acting as a manual transfer
    agent for all traffic, including listserv commands, because an
    otherwise configuration would allow hundreds of auto-rcpt confirmation
    messages to flood through the subscriber distribution list and hit the
    user end as an avalanche.

    Sorry to impose on you folks with questions of ignorance, but I am
    interested in performing my "real job" and getting some sleep at night
    too.

    The other question, maybe best answered by our internal Info. Systems
    group, but I'll ask anyway, since we operate both unix and vms systems,
    are there any certain advantages or drawbacks to selecting a package
    for unix vs. vms, or even one for a novell server on our LAN at our
    local departmental level.

    Thanks so much for any responses regarding the evaluation package from
    L-soft, considering the current situation I have explained.

    Dave Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
    Listowner, PESTCON (Integrated Pest Management at Colleges and
                        Universities)
    Physical Plant Department
    The University of Iowa