Elliott Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 May 1995 21:07:06 EDT
On Wed, 24 May 1995 16:32:48 PDT Melvin Klassen said:
>No thanks, I'm not interested.  Cyberspam NNTP-software, indeed!
>
>* Filter=Also,*@RTD.COM
>
>----------Original message from Netnews: bit.listserv.cmspip-l----------
>Newsgroups: bit.listserv.cmspip-l
>Date:         Wed, 24 May 1995 05:12:31 GMT
>Sender:       VM/SP CMS Pipelines Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
>Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
>              ignored.
>Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
>              ignored.
>From:         Netnews Server <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      The Key To Organizing Your Health Records
>Comments: To: [log in to unmask],
>          [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>
>        THE KEY TO ORGANIZING YOUR HEALTH RECORDS
>  ... 59 lines mercifully deleted ...

Here's what is returned if you try to email trasoff or dsiegel:

 ======================================================================= 97
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 17:38:39 -0700
From: [log in to unmask] (Mark Beeson)
Subject: NOTICE: Free Health Spam INFO
Apparently-To: [log in to unmask]

PLEASE NOTE:  this article was posted to news.admin.net-abuse.misc.

Let me introduce myself.  I'm Mark Beeson, the one who generated the cancel
messages for the Free Health Spam.  You may reach me at [log in to unmask]
I am, more or less, news administrator for RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.,
a Tucson-Arizona based Internet Provider.  All comments about this ordeal
should be directed to me.

Yes, I know the cancel messages were possibly broken, and I'm sorry, but
I'm sort of a newbie at auto-cancelling messages.

Anyways..  a little information..

FIRST:  David Siegel is in no way related to Martha Siegel.  So all the
        "conspiracy theories" can be thrown out the window.

Okay, now for the real info:

- Last night at approximately 9PM MST I received e-mail from one of our
  users complaining about a message in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.
  I sighed and looked at the message.

- 9:15 PM -- This same user complains that the message is showing up
  "everywhere in the rec.* hierarchy".  At this point my heart rate begins
  to go on a rollercoaster ride.

- 9:30 PM -- I am logged into the news machine (baygull.rtd.com) and
  executing a   find . -print | xargs grep baygull  on each of the
  major news hierarchies.

  Results of that:

    - comp.* was the worst hit, with 790 groups hit.
    - rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, bit.*, biz.*, and misc.* each got about 150
      groups hit.
    - Unfortunately I was not able to target the alt.* groups because
      the command you see above always terminated with a broken pipe.
      (Probably because of the enormous amount of newsgroups one step
      away from the top level).  I am told, however, that someone is
      working on auto-cancelling the alt.* messages.

- 10:00 PM -- I have hastily written up a perl script to generate
  cancel messages and pipe them into inews.  Yes, I know this perl script
  had errors in it, and unfortunately it cancelled approximately 20
  articles that did not appear at our site.  For that, I'm sorry, but
  again, I was rather rushed.

- 10:15 PM -- I do another grep on the sci.* hierarchy, and find that the
  output is _larger_.  Much to my horror, I realize what has happened and
  quickly execute (as superuser) top, look and see who is doing what on
  the system, and find user "trasoff" running a ".may" command, and
  also a few instances of inews.  I kill these in a heartbeat, and disable
  the account.

- 3:00 AM -- The perl scripts finish up with the last of the comp.*
  messages and I go home and fall asleep in a cold sweat, sensing
  impending doom.

IMPORTANT INFO HERE:

- 9:00 AM -- I am awakened by the phone.  Our office has called me,
  and according to them, the user [log in to unmask] is part of a
  company who contacted CyberSell (Lawrence Canter and Martha Siegel,
  who we all know and love).  I apparently caught this script in the
  middle of rec.*.  The veracity of whether CyberSell is actually
  responsible for this or not is unknown (by me at this time).

- 10:00 AM -- I log in from home, to find 1400 messages in my inbox.

It's currently 11:08, and I'm sure I'll have more details for everyone
as I get them.

Speaking for RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.,

--Mark
--
  Mark Beeson | Same Broken   (MB178)     President, Neural InterNetworking
      "I've seen the enemy, and the enemy is me." -- Sister Machine Gun