John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:52:21 -0400
> Hi,
>
>          Our list requires members to use their "real name" as part of
> professional communications and to discourage flaming etc.  We use:
> Subscription= owner,confirm
> Review= Owner
> Notify= yes

By having Review= Owner,  no one can see anyone's registered name except
you. Any names shown on list messages come from the From: field of the
message and has nothing to do with the subscribed name in LISTSERV.
LISTSERV only checks the address to determine if the person is a
subscriber, then allows the post.

As an example, you have   [log in to unmask] Tom Trimble  as a subscriber.
All you have to do is change your name to anything you want in your email
client and LISTSERV will display that name in your posts. So if you want
only real names in posts, you will have to require they set that properly
in their email client. Aside from the obvious problems with this, AOL
doesn't even send a name in the From: field.

Since you have Subscription= owner, you receive all requests and you have
control over the name that goes in LISTSERV's database. If you don't like
what they sent, you write them and have them tell you their real name. But
this only keeps the database correct, not the posts.

>          However, some members:
>     *  have, I guess, subsequently registered an "anonymous" or variant,
> including,  . . .  you guessed it: "real name",
>     * or their mail client uses a variant name in the "From:" line; or last
> name first; or drops initials after the name; etc., thus effectively
> concealing their name (although, often willing to disclose that and more
> within a post).

As explained above.

>          Is there a way to have the server "correct" the name to the
> registered name?

No.