Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 10:00:00 EST
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995 08:20:39 CDT, Patrick Douglas Crispen wrote:

>Can someone give me a good reason why *any* LISTSERV list should not be
>SEND= PRIVATE?

People don't use one address any more to send mail.
[log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask] = smith@grumpy =
smith@doc = smith@happy = ....  Are you going to make users always mail
from the exact same mail system or else face outright rejection?

If you're going to tighten down a list, at least use Send=Editor, with
[log in to unmask],(listname) so that those who use their same
old mail systems don't have a hassle (they're editors by being on the list)
and would-be rejects go to you for approval or rejections.

Forget linking mailing lists with newsgroups, of course.

The harder you make it for spammers, the harder you make it for users who
use for more than one computer system.  Would you rather protect the
innocent from rejection or from spam?

(Rex, if this structure of moderation is still hazey, contact me
privately?)

Trying to strike a balance,
Nick