Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:55:25 -0700
At 11:27 PM 2/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:36:42 -0700 Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>could toss a dozen messages
>>to this list in ten minutes with all phony addresses.
>
>This would be much less likely to work, however, on a list with SEND=
>PRIVATE (only subscribers can post) and SUBSCRIBE= OPEN, CONFIRM (where all
>subscription addresses must be confirmed as legitimate before subscriptions
>are accepted).  IMHO, any list owner whose list is set to less secure
>standards is asking for trouble.

Of course you're right, and I too can't imagine running lists any other
way, except for those who want full moderation.  But....as you say, nothing
is foolproof....and sub by owner and full moderation are the closest you'll
get to 'guarantees' in this life.  Personally, I feel anyone running a list
without all of the listserv features in place, is foolish.  Of course those
who run other lame crappola list processors are even more foolish.

cyclops