Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 00:56:52 EDT
 I sent a private response to Roma, which was a more wordy version of
 the following points.

 - LISTSERV is a distributed system, figuring out the "complete"
   resources used to support a list would be extraordinarily complex.
   Thankfully, it's also completely unneccesary. :)

 - Any model that estimates a well defined subset of the total resources
   will probably be acceptable.

 - One reasonable model is to estimate the local resources that will be
   dedicated to the list (both machine and human).

 - Since they site in question doesn't charge for machine resources,
   use some rates derived from a sample of other people's rates.

 I wanted to post this to let people know why Roma might ask you for
 your chargeback rates. :)

 -jj