Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:44:18 -0400

>There is a new virus--or a new variation on an old virus--making the
>rounds, and it's hitting everyone hard. I've gotten at least a hundred
>messages with infected attachments today, and my name and address have
>been spoofed in the "from" line of others that I'm being notified about.
>Jane

Since 10:00 this morning (13.5 hours), our central mail servers have
detected over 60,000 copies of the Sobig.f virus from several thousand
unique IP addresses. All but a handful are outside our net block. This
is more than double the number of viruses detected in our previous worst
*MONTH*. Our mail servers are configured to rename executable attachments
which the A/V software does not identify as viral, and they renamed nearly
virus signature files on the mail servers were updated. This exceeds the
number of attachments renamed in the previous 60 days.

Our Help Desk email address and our LISTSERV server's administrative
address have been forged on copies of the Sobig.f virus.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator