Elliott Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Sep 1994 05:40:38 EDT
This is just a FYI, since I know there is not much/anything technically
a list owner might do.
    I was interested because the Cambodia Daily articles (mentioned
in the orignal query) probably orginates from one of my lists,
SEASIA-L

Department of Journalism         Less certain possibilities:
Central Michigan University        [log in to unmask]
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA         CompuServe: 70701,520
Office tele: +1 517 774 3196       The WELL: [log in to unmask]

--------------------------  Forwarded  Message  -----------------------
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 1994 07:51:56 +0000
Sender:       Internationally-Oriented Computer-Assisted Reporting List
From:         Bruce Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Pirates -- or are they?
To:           Multiple recipients of list INTCAR-L <[log in to unmask]>

I posted a message yesterday about how a US company
 has been distributing  articles from our newspaper without
permission.

Here is further info on IIRC from a colleage in Cambodia who
first alerted us. Any ideas on how to stop them?

This is further info I have recieved from Bernie Krisher/Cambodia Daily
on the activities of IIRC

>The International Intelligence Report is issued by a data base vendor
called Comtex Scientific Co in Virginia.

They are supplying Nexis, Compserve (go newsgrid) and Newsnet.

The data bases collect about $15 per article (for 1,000 words) when it is
>retrieved online. IIRC has been in operation  for nearly two years
>and all of the organizations, which also include Le Monde, Frankfurter
>Algemeine Zeitung, El Pais,  La Prensa, Paris Match, etc., appear not to
>have known of it until I apprised them.

The President of COMTEX is Charles W. Terry. The address of COMTEX
>is:
>4900 Seminary Road, Suite 800, Alexandria, VA 22311, FAX: 1-703-824-8750,
>PHONE: 703-820-2000.  I had a one-time phone conversation with Mr. Terry
>who maintained their activities were legal.  He has declined to take any
>more calls from me, implying I might be  subject to a  harassment suit
if I
>contacted him further.
>       The Publisher's Product Statement (obtained through Newsnet)
reads:
>       "... INTELLIGENCE REPORT monitors dozens of sources on a daily
basis
> from all countries... Sources include radio and TV broadcasts as well
as print media such as newspapers and business magazines. All information is
>translated into English."
>       Compuserve, Newsnet and Mead all  maintained the legality of
their activity, placing any legal responsibility on COMTEX which they
claim assures  there are no copyright violations.  They acknowledged  no
moral issue in freely lifting material created by someone else without
permission.