Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:54:13 -0400
On 6/13/2007 18:19, Tim Casten wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Can anyone give me a tip or two on placing a cuda in front of our List
> SERVER.  I will have all mail to list.natca.net directed to our
> barracuda and I will tell barracuda anything to list.natca.net needs
> to go to the list server.But I was wondering is there anything else i
> need to do to the cuda as i know it checks with the recipient server
> to see if the delivery address is valid, I was wondering will the
> listserver accept everyting the cuda sends it, do i have to add users
> (lists) to the cuda.  I would like if during the handshake of the cuda
> and the listserver if the listserver sees a message addressed to a
> legit list but from a non legit sender it would just tell te cuda hey
> no deal and not process the message.
>
> Maybe im putting to much into this but i was just wondering.
>
> Any ideas and anyone else successfully added a cuda in front of their
> listserver.

This question belongs on the site maintainers list (LSTSRV-L), rather than
the list owners list, but since you posted it here, I will respond here.

We have been using a Barracuda to filter mail for our main domain (30,000
mailboxes) and our list service (70,000 lists) for nearly two years.

We have the Barracuda configured to do per-user quarantine for our main
domain and per-domain quarantine for both of the domains associated with
the list server. All of the addresses on the list server lead to LISTSERV,
not to mailboxes checked by humans, so per-user quarantine is not feasible.

With per-domain quarantine, you specify a single real mailbox to which
all 'quarantined' messages are to be delivered. We created a mailbox
specifically for this purpose. The list service administrators are the
only folks who have access to this mailbox. As noted above, we host
approximately 70000 lists. The list quarantine mailbox receives 500-1000
messages per day. When I check this mailbox, I sort the messages by subject.
This makes it easy to spot and delete batches of spam with (nearly) identical
subject lines. When all the easy stuff has been identified and deleted, we
usually have a few legitimate delivery error messages, which are redirected
to the appropriate owner- addresses. From time to time, a legitimate list
posting will land in quarantine. You need to figure out how you are going to
handle those situations.

You can configure the Barracuda to validate recipient addresses, so that
messages for non-existent addresses will be rejected by the Barracuda
during the initial SMTP session. You do not need to create user accounts
on the Barracuda for this purpose.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way for the Barracuda or any other
MTA process, either on the list server or on an external server, to interact
with LISTSERV to determine whether a specific sender is authorized to post
to a specific list. That determination is made by LISTSERV when the message
is processed by LISTSERV.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team